Over the past few years, Beat the Streets Philadelphia wrestlers have increasingly found success in Freestyle/Greco-Roman wrestling and this year was no different. After an exciting spring season of regional qualifiers, dual tournaments, weekend clinics, & practices, BTSP was able to take a team of 28 wrestlers to Central Mountain High School in Mill Hall, PA to compete in the Wrestling State Championships.
At the state tournament, the top three finishers at each high school weight class qualify for the USAW Freestyle/Greco-Roman National Championships in Fargo, North Dakota! All of the kids wrestled incredibly well & as a result, a record-high 9 BTSP wrestlers qualified for the Fargo National Championships this July! A summary of results is listed below:
- Shermuhammed Navruzov (3rd GR) @ 132
- Reynaldo Garcia (2nd FS / 3rd GR) @138
- John Colburne (3rd FS / 2nd GR) @ 182
- Tatyana Ortiz (1st FS / 2nd GR) @ 106
- Steven Foster (2nd FS / 1st GR) @ 106
- Grigol Khochishivili (2nd FS / 2nd GR) @ 152
- Angel Garcia (1st FS / 1st GR) @ 170
- Jameel Coles (1st FS / 1st GR) @ 195
- Daishawn Tilghman (2nd GR) @ 220
Additionally, BTSP wrestlers had great success at the youth & middle school level. Below are the results for our young wrestlers:
- Sanaa Rahming (3rd FS / 1st GR) @ 49
- Mark Effendian (2nd FS / 2nd GR) @ 135
- Leo Petroski (3rd FS / 3rd GR) @ 125
- Bekhruz Navruzov (1st FS / 1st GR) @ 136
- Patrick Daly (3rd GR) @ 149
Lastly, Beat the Streets would like to thank all of the coaches who helped make this weekend possible! David James, JP Rosney, Mike Rahming, Tony Tolbert, Saviddin Navruzov, Khasha Mahdavi, & Ed Schneider. Also, we would like to thank coach Asror Mukhitdinov of Uzbekistan. Coach Asror is an internationally recognized wrestler & won this years’ Dave Schultz Classic!
Thank you to everyone who worked so hard all season long to provide kids with high-level wrestling experiences and a fun team environment to be a part of! In coming weeks, we’ll plan to do a ‘spotlight’ on each individual heading to Fargo this July so stay tuned!
Final results can be found below: