Beat the Streets Philadelphia is honored to have been included as a recipient of the highly competitive and respected 2016 GSK Impact Award. This very meaningful award provides a grant of $40,000 in recognition of the awardees outstanding contributions to a healthier Philadelphia region. This gift has a very real impact on our programs and will allow us to alter the life trajectory of even more youth throughout the region.
You can view the full GSK press release below that includes information about the award along with the amazing work GSK helps make possible across the world through their philanthropic efforts.
GSK celebrates 20 years of a healthy and happy Philadelphia
Ten nonprofits will receive $40,000 to support youth sports, safety, housing, and other pressing community health needs
GSK [LSE/NYSE: GSK] today announced the GSK IMPACT Award Winners in a ceremony at GSK’s Navy Yard site. Ten local nonprofits were awarded $40,000 each in recognition of their outstanding contributions to a healthier Philadelphia region. This is the 20th anniversary of GSK’s awards program, which has honored and supported hundreds of nonprofits that improve the lives of Philadelphians every day.
“For two decades, we have recognized outstanding nonprofits in our local communities that build the foundation for healthy lives,” said Jack Bailey, President, US Pharmaceuticals, GSK. “This year’s GSK IMPACT Award Winners are delivering innovative solutions to real health challenges faced by our neighbors across the Philadelphia area, and we are proud to support their inspiring work.”
The winners are:
• Beat the Streets Philadelphia, https://btsphilly.org/ @BTSPhilly
• CeaseFire Pennsylvania Education Fund http://www.ceasefirepa.org/ @CeaseFirePA
• Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County http://www.dapdc.org/ @DAPDelco
• Legal Clinic for the Disabled, Inc., http://www.lcdphila.org/ @lcdphila
• Philadelphia VIP, https://www.phillyvip.org/ @Philly_VIP
• Philadelphia Wooden Boat Factory, http://woodenboatfactory.org/ @pwbf
• SquashSmarts, Inc., http://www.squashsmarts.org/ @SquashSmarts
• Support Center for Child Advocates, http://sccalaw.org/ @PhillyAdvoKid
• Women’s Community Revitalization Project, http://www.wcrpphila.org/ @wcrpphl
• YWCA Tri-County Area, http://www.ywcatricountyarea.org/ @YW3CA
The GSK IMPACT Awards are one of several programs GSK offers as part of a commitment to building healthier communities across the US. The winners were selected by a panel of local and national community leaders through a competitive process. The nonprofits needed to demonstrate innovative and sustainable approaches to addressing at least one of the following health factors and measures: 1) Diet and exercise, 2) Education, 3) Housing and transit, 4) Employment, 5) Family and social support, and 6) Community safety.
In the Philadelphia region, the GSK IMPACT Awards are presented in partnership with United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey. (@PhillySJUnited)
“We are proud to partner with GSK to help administer the GSK IMPACT Awards because we believe that everyone in our community deserves access to the resources they need to live healthy lives,” said Jim Cawley, President and CEO, UWGPSNJ. “Partnerships like these are so valuable because together, we can do more for those in need than we ever could on our own.”
The awards ceremony will feature a keynote address from Dr. Donald F. Schwarz of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation on the important connection between health and community. In honor of the 20th anniversary of the GSK IMPACT Awards, GSK employees will also vote for one of the winning organizations to receive an additional $10,000 and a trip to London to attend the UK GSK IMPACT Awards gala and a three-day skills-building workshop alongside the company’s UK/Ireland award winners.
The history of GSK IMPACT Awards:
• For 20 years, we have honored outstanding nonprofit programs that are improving access to health in and around our US corporate campuses in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with GSK IMPACT Awards.
• To date, exemplary US-based nonprofits have been honored with more than $9 million in GSK IMPACT Awards. Over the past 20 years, $6.6 million has been awarded to 165 local nonprofit organizations in the greater Philadelphia area.
GSK – one of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For company information visit: http://www.gsk.com.
About United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey:
United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey, serving communities in Pennsylvania’s Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, and New Jersey’s Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May and Cumberland counties , is part of a national network of more than 1,300 locally governed organizations that work to create lasting positive changes in communities and in people’s lives. United Way engages the community to identify the underlying causes of the most significant local issues, develops strategies and pulls together financial and human resources to address them, and measures the results. United Way is advancing the common good in Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey by positively impacting the lives of people throughout the region in the areas of education, income, and health.
Join the conversation using @GSKUS and #GSKimpact.